Designing the Colony’s Court Houses

The keeping of law and order and the administration of justice have been major preoccupations of government since the arrival of the First Fleet. It is therefore not surprising that the court house is often one of the most substantial public buildings in a small country town. Even the modest village of Binalong in the Southern Tablelands was provided with a solid and commodious structure for this purpose, with the necessary plans carefully drawn up by the architects and draftsmen of the Colonial Architect’s Office.

Source: NRS 4335 Government Architect: Plans of public buildings, c.1834-1970. Binalong Court and Watch House – Plans, elevations and sections of proposed court House, 1881 [SR Plan 690]

Related information

Previous Home Next